*Fair warning, this is a very long story...*
Where do I even begin...
Wednesday night I was out to dinner with my family and was having some cramping and could feel my stomach tightening off and on (not painfully). I tried to down play it but started to get a little concerned when after a few hours this hadn't stopped. I decided I better go to labor and delivery and get checked out. We got there and got me all hooked up to the monitors. I was having contractions every 1-2 minutes...
They watched me for a little while and decided to give me a shot of terbutaline to stop the contractions. They also gave me a shot of steroids to help little mans lungs develop in the event that he did come early. They checked my dilation several times and said I was at a 2.. and luckily that didn't change while we were there.
Jeremy gave me a priesthood blessing and thankfully the contractions stopped and we got to go home for the night around 1230 am.
Thursday morning... I woke up around 0430 not feeling quite right. I went to the bathroom and tried to go back to sleep but was very uncomfortable. I felt like I was having heartburn but soon realized I was having contractions again. I sat in the living room and tried to relax to see if they would stop.. no such luck. Jeremy woke up around 0645 and could tell something was wrong. I decided to download a contraction timer and see how often I was having them. They were coming every 2-4 minutes. When I had 8 contractions in 20 minutes I decided it was time to go back in to the hospital.
We got to the hospital around 0800 and got all hooked up to the monitors. Sure enough, I was contacting regularly again. My midwife came in and saw me. She checked my dilation and said that she wouldn't say 2 she'd say 1.5.. but that baby was super low and so was my cervix and it had begun the process of funneling. This made her very worried because babies usually aren't this low unless you are in active labor. I got another shot of terbutaline and was given oral nifedepine to stop my contractions as they really wanted to stop my labor from progressing any further.They placed an Iv and gave me a 1000 ml bolus to keep me hydrated
The contractions seemed to stop so they just continued to monitor me. My midwife and doctor felt like they sent me home too early the night before and wanted to watch me longer to make sure everything was okay. They decided to keep me until I could have the second dose of the steroid shot for babies lungs.. so till 10 pm. They checked my dilation several times before 1230 and it remained unchanged (thankfully!!). They moved us to a labor and delivery room instead of triage and kept me on the monitors all day. They gave me the oral nifedepine every 6 hours and my contracting seemed to really die down besides an occasional one, which is normal. They cultured me for group b strep, as this can cause premature labor. We had lots of people stop by and see us. Two of our best friends stopped by and Jeremy and Jake were able to give me another priesthood blessing. This brought me so much comfort. At 10pm they checked my dilation and I was still 1.5 cm. But the best news was that my cervix had moved back behind the babies head and was no longer funneling! The gave my another shot of the steroid and we were able to go home. I was placed on modified bed rest until at least 36 weeks (which turned out to be 37). And I had to go back to the hospital the following day to get a repeat FFN test. This tests to see if you will likely deliver in the next two weeks. hankfully it came back negative. Such an answer to prayers!